Sunday, June 29, 2014
You know how life is super busy, but you think you have time to do everything that you want to do, everything that you need to do, and then write a week's worth of blogposts too? Yeah, that just happened. Somewhere between Friday and today everything else stacked up on me and boom.. five days past with no blogpost. The shame. Does this happen to you? Do you just run out of time to give your blog the attention that it needs sometimes? At any rate, I thought I would share seven beauty uses for honey that I really love and have found to be tremendously helpful!
|WASH YOUR HAIR WITH HONEY. Honey is actually a wonderful moisturizing hair cleanser that will leave your locks soft, smooth, and silky. Shampoo tends to strip your hair and scalp of oils that are protective. This can cause your hair to overproduce oil to recoup from the rough cleaning. Cleansing your hair with honey balances oil production, and it is pH balanced which promotes a healthy scalp.
• Mix 3 tablespoon of warm water and 1 tablespoon of honey ( raw honey is the best ) to make the cleanser. Dampen your hair, then massage the honey cleanser into hair. You don't need to worry about working the cleanser all the way to the ends of your hair, though you certainly can if you want. Pull your hair up in a clip and let the honey cleanser sit on your hair for ten to fifteen minutes. Rinse well.
|CLEANSE YOUR FACE WITH HONEY. This is something that I do everyday. Honey cleanses your skin gently without stripping it. This, plus honey's antibacterial properties, make it a helpful cleanser for reducing acne.
• As always, raw honey is best. Take 1/2 teaspoon of the honey and gently apply onto your face. Honey is quite sticky, obviously, so you might have to add a couple of drops of warm water to help with the consistency and make it easier to apply to your face. Let the honey hangout on your face for five to ten minutes and then rinse with warm water, followed by cool.
|REDUCE THE APPEARANCE OF SCARS. Honey can greatly fade and reduce the appearance of acne scars on the face. It has a natural bleaching effect, and when used regularly it can help you reclaim an even complexion. Using honey as a mask and letting it sit on your face for half an hour gleans the best results.
|LIGHTEN HAIR. The same bleaching effect that honey has on scars, it has on your hair, giving you lovely golden highlights.
• Mix 6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice ( to kick it up a notch ) with 1 tablespoon of raw honey and apply to hair for one hour. This works even better if you apply heat to your hair, so break out the blowdryer if you want even greater results. I suggest this method of lightening twice a week to get the best results.
|CONDITION YOUR NAILS. As summer makes it's appearance we all want to have the perfect summer manicure. Those happy Essie colors call our name! For the best polish results, healthy strong nails are essential. Honey works well at softening your cuticles and strengthening your nails.
• Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Apply to your cuticles and nails and let sit for ten to fifteen minutes. Rinse with warm water.
|FADE DARK CIRCLES. Whether you're twenty or thirty-five and beyond, we all get dark circles under our eyes sometimes. Life is busy and can be tiring. Concealer does it's job well, but why not reduce the appearance of dark circles from the start! Honey is a natural remedy for dark under-eye circles.
• Take 1 teaspoon of honey and apply under the eye over dark circles, and leave for twenty minutes. Rinse with warm water. Do this twice a week and watch your dark circles fade.
|LIP + BODY SCRUB. This is one of my absolute favorites uses for honey! A honey scrub leaves your skin feeling so smooth and soft. Personally, I think it is a must for summer with shorts and racerback tanks out in full force.
• For body scrub: Combine 3 ( heaping ) teaspoons of light brown sugar ( I use a trusty spoon for this ) and 2 teaspoons of honey. It will form a soft, but slightly moldable paste. Of course, use of this scrub must be done while in the shower. Apply to your body in gentle circular motions and then rinse with warm water.
• For lip scrub: Combine 1 (small ) teaspoon of honey and 1 (small ) teaspoon of light brown sugar. Again, it will for a soft moldable paste. Apply to lips and leave for five minutes, then gently scrub and rinse.
What about you, have you felt overwhelmed this week? What are some of your favorites uses for honey?
Check out this month's lovely featured sponsor!